Background

Thursday, June 28, 2012

First month stuff

We have now been home from the NICU for three and a half weeks.  Time has flown by!  Today they are 12 weeks old.  It's amazing that our tiny little miracles are now nearly 8lb chunky monkeys!

On a few of the multiples boards I frequent I often see people asking what items are necessary for when the babies are first home.  I thought I would write a blog detailing what we have found to be indispensable.  In no particular order:

1. Graco pack n play with reversible napper/changing table: We bought two of these and this is where our boys sleep.  The change from napper to changing table is super quick and easy to do one handed.  The boys seem to enjoy sleeping in the napper.  We keep extra diapers, wipes, bibs, burp blankets, lotion, pacifiers etc within the actual pack n play area.

2. Receiving blankets: Since our boys came home at just over 6lbs and were not able to use the swaddles right away.  These worked great for swaddling them and keeping them warm.  Now we use one for Spencer since a burp cloth is way too tiny to contain his spit up (although his reflux is greatly improved on medicine now).

3. Gerber and Just One You by Carters onesies: These two brands run thin and short so it's been perfect for our boys.  Although I just bought some in 0-3month size and I think they'll outgrow them in another week or two at the most!

4. Gerber 0-6 month hats: Our boys have quickly outgrown newborn hats from other brands but 3 month hats are way too big.  The Gerber's fit perfectly since you can fold up the brim if needed.

5. Nosefrida and Little Noses Saline: We came home with bulb syringes and they work okay.  Several women online had recommended this "snot sucker" so I ordered it through Amazon.  When I received it I was very skeptical and Andy just rolled his eyes.  But it is seriously a miracle worker!  Jacen was incredibly snorty and congested one night so I finally decided to try it.  Let's just say that I will be buying one of these as a gift for every baby shower I attend from now on.

6. Bounty paper towels:  We use them for everything from pee guard, make shift bib, napkin, spitup wiper etc.  We joke that we need to buy stock in Bounty.

7. Swaddles: Once our boys hit 7lbs these have been great.  With the receiving blankets they were always busting out and their toes would get very cold.  With the swaddle that doesn't happen.  Most of the time we swaddle them with their arms out.

8. Amazon Mom's membership: You get free two day shipping on the majority of items, a discount on diapers and wipes, discounted overnight shipping etc.  I have been able to get our diapers for $0.17 each instead of the $0.28 cheapest option I've found in store.  Plus they deliver!  Since we currently go through 20 diapers a day that difference in price really adds up quickly.

9. Dr.Brown's formula mixing pitcher:  We use this to fortify breastmilk as well as mix formula.  It mixes it incredibly well so that there are no chunks left.

10. Skip Hop Duo Deluxe Diaper bag: I am seriously not a purse girl.  I don't much care what it looks like as long as it functions for what I need.  But I love my diaper bag!  It's cute but not too girly so Andy doesn't mind holding it if need be.  It easily fits several extra diapers, wipes, onesies, hats, receiving blankets, bottles, changing pad etc.  It also easily attaches to our stroller so when we're out I don't have to have it weighing down my shoulder.

I'm sure there are other items but these are my favorites right now.

1 comment:

  1. Again ... I could have written this post. We love so many of the same products. We would have been lost without our Gerber onesies. We have a couple of long skinny boys and found that other brands of onesies ran too short and wide for us. We would also be lost without our Amazon Mom Membership because we seem to go through wipes like it is going out of style. The wipes just show-up at our door and we are back in business. We also have the skip hop duo diaper bag and we absolutely love it. Okay. Now I'm just rambling ... I'm glad to hear things are going so well!!

    ReplyDelete