Background

Saturday, June 16, 2012

Due date

Today is my official due date.  With twins we knew we would deliver a few weeks early, but of course we never imagined it would be ten and a half weeks early.  I'm so excited that tomorrow we get to start counting by adjusted age instead of gestational.

The past week has rushed by in a whirlwind.  Life flies by when you're living in three hour increments and at the mercy of two little boys!  Jacen and Spencer are doing great and seem to be thriving at home.  Andy and I are doing well too.  We're both able to relax more, although sleep is a hot commodity that isn't readily available.  We have a nice system worked out that helps ease frustration, mostly.

I also have been able to pump enough to continue feeding the boys fortified breast milk at every feeding.  My supply has lowered enough that within the next day or two for sure they will begin getting more formula.  I'm currently still pumping after every feed, which is eight times a day, but my time is now reduced to 20 minutes.  I'm hoping to get down to 15 within the next week and then maybe eliminate a session or two.  Ideally I would still be able to give the boys some breast milk every day for as long as possible while also remaining sane.  I think if/once my milk totally dries up my freezer stash would get us through a week and a half of the boys getting one bottle of fortified breast milk a day.

Today is the first time I've been alone with the boys for any big span of time.  My mom was supposed to come help watch them while Andy went fishing, but she unfortunately has food poisoning.  So it's just the boys and I today!  I was nervous but it's been enjoyable.  I will definitely need a nap when Andy gets home though!

Tomorrow is our first father's day as a family, I'm very excited to celebrate the wonderful men in my life.  On Monday we're having lunch with a friend and then taking the boys to an eye appointment.  On Tuesday another friend is coming over in the evening.  On Wednesday they have their first Early Childhood Intervention (ECI) evaluation.  Finally on Friday they have their first visit a another early intervention clinic.  I'm looking forward to the evaluations to find out if there is anything we need to work on.  I personally think my boys are brilliant little rock stars but it will be comforting to know that others hopefully agree.  Due to their prematurity they will be followed very closely for at least the first year to make sure no developmental milestones are missed.  I'm thankful programs like these exist.

Tomorrow I have a special post planned, including a new picture!

1 comment:

  1. i'm glad everyone is doing well, melissa!
    happy father's day to andy! i'm looking forward to your post tomorrow.
    wishing you all a wonderful celebration tomorrow and hoping your mom feels better soon <3
    maria

    ReplyDelete