Background

Friday, June 22, 2012

Appointments out the wazoo

I'm not quite sure what a wazoo is, but we have had so many appointments this week!  We're feeling a bit run down and are really looking forward to a Saturday with zero plans.

On monday we got to have lunch with a dear friend and her husband.  I met her on an online loss support board over a year ago and she just moved to town.  She is due with a little girl in July and I am so excited to have a mommy friend close by!  She was just as sweet in person as I knew she would be and her husband was great too.  We really enjoyed getting out and having lunch with them.  I think it was the highlight of my week!  She even brought me some of her famous whoopie pies.  I had never had one before but they were absolutely delicious!

After lunch the boys had their eye appointment.  It went really well and they won't need to be seen again until they are 9 months old.  At that point they'll likely be completely released until they're school age.  Since every single member of both sides of our family wear glasses/contacts I'm sure they are destined to as well.  But I'm so glad they don't have any vision problems related to their prematurity.

Tuesday was our one non busy day.  We relaxed and then were lucky enough to have another friend come visit.  She snuggled the boys with me and even brought us food.  We are very blessed to have her in our lives.  I can't wait until she visits again!

Wednesday was the first ECI visit.  On their scale Jacen was up to 7lbs7oz and Spencer was 7lbs5oz.  Growing boys!  They both qualify for twice monthly physical therapy because they prefer turning their heads to the right.  Both have tightening of the neck muscles.  So the therapy will work on loosening them and teaching us what we can do to help.  Spencer will also get assistance in coping with his surroundings.  The evaluator thinks that he gets easily stressed out.  I'm not sure we 100% agree he's as bad as she thought, but there is a difference between how Jacen and Spencer interact with their environments when not in their comfort zone.

On Thursday we were lucky enough to have a newborn (even though they're technically 11 weeks old!) photo shoot with Hillarry at Silver Bee Photography.  She was looking to add more twins to her portfolio so we were able to get a free photo shoot and will get 10 complimentary photos.  She has the patience of a saint!  The entire shoot took about four hours but it was very relaxed and calm.  Interestingly enough she uses an audio recording of a vacuum cleaner to help calm the babies.  It worked like a charm!  I can't wait to see the final images.  I'm sure it will be very difficult to choose only ten.

Today did not turn out the way we had planned.  Spencer's spit up has turned into full scale projectile vomiting on a regular basis after feeding.  So today we had a pediatrician visit to discuss reflux.  Due to the severity I described they wanted us to immediately head in for an ultrasound and barium study of his stomach.  The doctor cautioned that he might have pyloric hypertrophy and require surgery.  I was very freaked out but I tried to keep calm.  We had been scheduled to go to a prematurity clinic but we had to cancel the appointment.  Thankfully he "just" has severe reflux.  The pyloric area did show a spasm so we will be watching him closely but at this point surgery is in no way indicated.  In 30 minutes he will start his first dose of Prilosec.  We are hoping it works quickly and he starts to feel better soon!  But we have been cautioned that it can take up to two weeks to see a real difference.

Zoe had her surgery on wednesday and is doing well.  She had to have a drain placed due to some extra swelling and is on quite a few medications.  My mom is taking care of her at least through the weekend, which I am so thankful for.  But I miss her so much!  I can't wait to have the whole family reunited again.

Thankfully next week should be much more relaxed and calm.  Did I really just write calm when we have twin boys?

1 comment:

  1. wishing you a very relaxing day tomorrow!! you and andy deserve it! i bet those photos came out amazing!! <3
    sending love and wishing you all well!
    xoxox
    maria

    ReplyDelete