Background

Saturday, April 14, 2012

Kangaroo care

Kangaroo care time is amazing, even better than I expected it to be.  For those of you unfamiliar with the term it's when preemie babies are first finally able to be held skin to skin.  They are placed on the mom/dad's chest and abdomen in contact with skin and left for about an hour to begin with.  It's really good for both the parent and the baby.

On Thursday I got to hold Jacen for the first time.  He was a little fussy to begin with but settled down so quickly.  He seemed to enjoy the contact and I most definitely did.  Even though I was uncomfortable in the chair and a little scared to do something wrong, that first hour flew by.

I look exhausted but I'm so incredibly happy too.
Yesterday I got to hold Spencer for the first time and Andy got to hold Jacen.  Spencer was so much more calm than Jacen and just snuggled close the entire time.  Andy absolutely loved getting to hold Jacen.  I could hear him singing oldies to our son and it really looked like Jacen enjoyed them.  Andy used to sing to my belly so I'm sure Jacen recognized his daddy's voice.



We are definitely looking forward to this time on a daily basis now!  I can't get enough of our boys.

I also made a bump progression collage the other day, it was neat to see how my belly size progressed over time.

I still wish I had gotten to carry them for longer, but I am so happy with the progress they are making every single day in the NICU.  I know everything happened the way it should have, so I'm beginning to come to peace with it.  Thankfully the kangaroo care time is helping!  I feel like I can actually do something for my boys now, which helps alleviate some of the guilt (irrational or not) that I feel.  I can't wait to hold them again tomorrow!

2 comments:

  1. The pictures are wonderful. I'm so glad you are able to hold the boys at this point. I'm sure it is the most wonderful feeling in the world. We continue to send prayers in your direction.

    ReplyDelete
  2. :*) oh melissa, the photos are beautiful, as are you, andy and your baby boys.
    you haven't left my prayers...
    i can only imagine how amazing it felt to hold spencer and jacen against your skin.
    thinking of you <3
    xoxox
    maria

    ReplyDelete