Background

Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Jacen and Spencer are one week old!

I cannot believe our boys are already a week old!  Time has flown by in a complete blur.  Thankfully we have had mostly good days and mostly good news.  I fall more madly in love with our boys every single day.  Jacen and Spencer are definitely showing more of their personalities as days go by.  It's so fun to watch them develop!

Jacen is almost back to his birth weight, this morning he weighed 2lbs12oz.  Today he received 16mL of milk every three hours with fortifier added to it.  He was pretty cranky and tough to console today so they think they might slow down on his feed increases for a day or two since it might be making his tummy hurt.  He should get his belly button line out tomorrow which means we should be able to start kangaroo care!  Being able to hold our sons will help all of us tremendously.  His bilirubin remained stable so he is hopefully done with phototherapy for good.  He continues to breathe room air through the CPAP.

Spencer is almost back to his birth weight as well, this morning he weighed 3lbs even.  He received 15mL of milk every three hours today.  He was having a lot of residuals so they might slow down on his feed increases as well.  He is also breathing room air through CPAP.  His bilirubin was within normal ranges so he got taken off of the phototherapy this morning.  It was so exciting to see more of his precious face again!   Tomorrow both boys will be getting an ultrasound of their brains.  We're praying it shows no bleeding whatsoever!

I'm doing much better today.  Every other day I seem to be very sleep deprived and sad, I think the two definitely go hand in hand.  I didn't get to take any naps today so tomorrow might be another one of those days, but I'm going to try to rest as much as possible.  My milk continues to come in nicely.  I had a meeting with the lactation consultant at the hospital and she gave me a lot of good tricks and tips.  She refused to give me any numbers of what I "should" be pumping right now, just said that it should increase a little every day for the most part.  So far it has so I guess I'm right on track!  The first full day of pumping I managed 7.1mL, today with one pump session left I'm at 171mL!

Andy and I took one week photos of the boys tonight but afterwards he went night fishing and took the camera with him.  One of us will probably post the photos soon.  Andy continues to be amazing.  I was pumping in the NICU this evening and Jacen was throwing a bit of a temper tantrum.  It was beautiful to watch Andy try to comfort him.  I can tell he loves our sons so much and it makes my heart so happy.  I might struggle at times with the way everything happened and that my boys require a long NICU stay, but seeing Andy with the boys helps remind me that God knows what he is doing.  At the time I didn't understand our loss, I didn't understand why God would give us a child then take it away so quickly.  Now I think it's because we were meant to take that road, we were meant to struggle to conceive, we were meant to find our RE, to take the medication, to conceive our boys, and ultimately I was meant to deliver them early.  Maybe this is his way of helping me be less of a control freak, who knows.  All I know is I need to remember that God has perfect timing.  I am so thankful for all that we have!

No comments:

Post a Comment