Background

Friday, December 23, 2011

14w4d OB Appointment


***Note:  This blog was written on Wednesday but not posted since Photobucket wasn't working

Relief!  We made it the entire four weeks between appointments and today has been a good day.  I had a horrible dream last night, I woke up sobbing with Pixel cuddled up next to me.  Thankfully I don't remember it!  But it made me more anxious this morning than I had been.  We left the house a little over an hour before our appointment expecting traffic to be bad.  It wasn't!  We made it to our OB's office 40 minutes early and expected to have to wait awhile.  But instead we were taken almost immediately back.

I had to pee in a cup and get weighed while Andy went to wait in the room.  I'm up 5lbs in four weeks!  I wish I had remembered to ask what my starting weight was on their scale back in July.  According to our scale at home I'm up exactly 10lbs so far.  From everything I've read I should be putting on 1 to 2lbs per week right now so in theory I shouldn't have any difficulty reaching my 20lbs by 20w goal.

I was upset to find out that our OB was delivering so I'd be seeing the nurse practitioner instead.  I thought for sure that would mean no ultrasound and was almost in tears.  Thankfully the NP came in and said she was sending us one floor down to an ultrasound tech.  It turned out to be even better than if our OB had done the ultrasound!  It was the same tech that did my ultrasound back in July, she's super nice and very thorough.  She was excited to get to do a twin ultrasound, apparently the tech's don't get to see very many.  She spent a really long time with us looking at both our babies.  It was absolutely amazing.  I can't believe how much they've grown in just four weeks!  Both babies are measuring exactly on track and look great.  They're almost the exact same distance from the cervix so it's still easier to call them Lefty and Righty at this point.
Righty waving "hi!" to all of you
Righty was up first.  The ultrasound tech took several measurements and pictures for us.  I asked her if there was any way she could make a gender guess for us and she said she would try.  I was so excited!  Unfortunately Righty is shy and kept his/her knees bent the entire time so we couldn't see anything.  The heartrate was in the 140s.  Lefty was up next and happily showed us his goods!  We're still a little early to know for sure but I would be surprised if the guess is wrong.  We're not rushing out to buy a bunch of boy things and Lefty will continue to be the nickname for now.  But it's fun to potentially know!  The heartrate was in the 160s.


After the ultrasound we went back and visited with the NP.  She answered a few questions and discussed a little bit about what our delivery might be like.  I'll have to deliver in the OR as a safety precaution even if I can try to deliver naturally since things can change so quickly.  Originally I wanted a medicine free birth with a midwife so I'm having to reconcile this new plan in my mind.  I'm surprisingly okay with it.  I would still love a med free birth but the most important thing to me is that these babies make it here healthy and safe.  I will do whatever it takes to make that happen.

Our next appointment is in less than three weeks on January 9th and then our official anatomy scan is scheduled for the 25th with a perinatalogist.  From what I've heard the peri will have super fancy ultrasound equipment so I'm definitely looking forward to that appointment!

I have to give a last shout out to Andy because he is an amazing husband and already an amazing dad.  He went to his hometown today to have lunch with his brother.  While there he picked up my two favorite foods!  Bean and cheese tacos from one place and Mississippi mudpie from another.  Am I a lucky woman or what?

No comments:

Post a Comment