Background

Tuesday, January 17, 2012

One perk of being sick

I've been sick since Friday with a bit of a cough.  It worsened on Sunday and today is a full blown annoying hack.  Andy is sick too but he seems to have come down with the congestion versus a cough.  I fully intended to go to work today but last night I couldn't stop coughing long enough to get any decent sleep.  The #1 piece of advice I've heard from other twin mom's is to listen to your body.  It seemed pretty obvious my body was telling me to take it easy today.

When we got up with morning Andy encouraged me to call the nurse at my OB's office.  I have a history of developing bronchitis pretty easily and the Robitussin DM that is pregnancy safe was not doing anything to stop the cough.  So I made the call and we waited to hear back.  My OB's nurse finally called and said that they wanted to see me today before prescribing anything.  It's the office policy that twins require an ultrasound at every appointment.  Since we were just going to be seen by the nurse practitioner we were scheduled at the ultrasound lab at 1pm and with the NP at 2.

The one perk of being sick?  Getting a surprise peak at our babies!  The ultrasound technician was the same as the one before, she takes a lot of time to go over details and has fun with it.  Both babies look great and we're pretty sure we know what they are!  But we're not going to tell quite yet, we want to confirm at our anatomy scan next Wednesday.  Ben & Jerry's cherry garcia ice cream is the only thing that has sounded good the past few days so I had some for "lunch" about an hour before our appointment.  It made for some hyper babies!  Even Righty, our normally calm child, was bouncing around and mooning us.  It's always amazing to see them.

The visit with the NP went well, she thinks that I'm "flirting with bronchitis".  I'm to take cepacol lozenges during the day and a prescription cough suppressant with codeine at night.  Cepacol is definitely weird stuff.  You know how when you're having work done at the dentist they'll numb your gum with a gel before injecting the real numbing stuff?  These lozenges make your whole mouth and tongue feel numb like that.  It's a little unnerving.

I just hope Andy and I can both get some good sleep tonight and be on the mend by tomorrow.  But I can't complain too much about being sick since it afforded us a surprise peak at our babies!

No comments:

Post a Comment