Background

Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Rooming In

I am sitting in what feels like the millionth hospital room I have stayed in during the last two months.  But tonight I am insanely happy.  Next to me, sprawled out on the couch snoring, is Andy.  In front of me, sound asleep in their bassinets, are Jacen and Spencer!  We are rooming in which, in theory, is one of the last steps before taking our boys home.  It's been a whirlwind of a past week!

Just over a week ago I wrote about how frustrating feedings were since the boys didn't have the hang of it yet.  This past friday night our night nurse decided to try a new nipple on their bottles.  The nuk orthodontic nipple made a huge difference!  Spencer went from taking 10, 15, 20 mL per feeding to taking all 60 with no problems.  Jacen didn't show such a huge difference but still progressed.  By Sunday Andy and I asked the doctors if we could switch to an ad lib (on demand) feeding schedule since their wakeful times didn't seem to coincide with their feeding times.  To our surprise they got us another nesting room and we've been here since!  We did every feeding ourselves from Sunday at 2pm until today at noon.  Not much sleep happening here.  Jacen passed his carseat test yesterday and Spencer passed his today.  The doctor is a little concerned with Spencer's weight gain since it's not as much as he would like.  Today they decided it was time for us to room in.  The earliest Jacen will go home is Friday and Spencer a day or two after that.  I'm trying not to get my hopes up because something could still happen to keep us here longer.

But for now my boys are in front of me and they are monitor free!  Cue anxiety.  I keep checking to make sure they're breathing and every little grunt and sneeze is sending me to check on them.  I'm hoping by the end of tonight I'll have less anxiety.  I need to sleep sometime!  But these two little boys are so incredibly precious and I'm so scared I won't do a good job at being their mommy.  I think Andy and I might take shifts being awake and keeping an eye on them, at least for tonight.

It's been such a long journey to get here.  One year and five days ago I began chronicling it at my original blog Hoping For Baby Graham.  What an amazing year it has been!  We have had our struggles but we have also been so incredibly blessed.  I am so thankful for all that we have and can't wait to see what the next year has in store for us.

5 comments:

  1. Seriously?! This post makes be insanely happy!!!
    Love to all the Graham Family!
    Lee

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay!!!! So happy for you Melissa! This is such a great update. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so exciting!!! Thanks for sharing!!! Those little noises babies make are cute, but they sure do keep you up at night!!! I remember!! Praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is awesome! Congratulations. And I know about the lack of sleep. I jump out of bed with every noise the boys make in their sleep. Eventually I pass out from exhaustion but the worry never ends!

    ReplyDelete
  5. it's so amazing to see all that has come your way in the past year. it has been a blessing to know you and watch your journey!!
    you are an inspiration, melissa. <3
    xoxox
    maria

    ReplyDelete