Background

Thursday, May 10, 2012

Isolation and mourning

Are you ready for some more 3am deep thoughts?  This will probably be even more rambling than normal due to the early hour and sleep deprivation.

I had a sad day yesterday.  Most days I'm able to have a sad moment or two and then move on.  Spending time with my boys is the highlight of my world and I'm so thankful they're doing as well as they are.  They're both up to 4lbs10oz and slowly getting the hang of eating.  I'm thankful for every day the doctors say, "no real update" or call them "boring" since that means they're doing good.  But being a preemie mom is incredibly isolating.

Yesterday marked one year since my beloved Grandpa passed away.  I remember telling my mom last year that next we wouldn't spend Mother's Day in the hospital.  Guess what?  We will be spending it in the hospital after all.  It'll be a much happier occasion but it's still not what I had hoped.  I know it's not what anyone hoped.

When I first went into preterm labor I went into my tough girl stubborn mode.  I told friends and family that I was okay, that we didn't need anything.  That was really a lie.  We needed love and support and we got it.  I had so many friends visit us in the hospital and so many people call, text, email, and message me on facebook.  But as time has passed that obvious support has waned.  I can't blame anyone but myself since I keep telling people I'm fine.  Why should anyone think I'm a liar?  I know people are silently supporting us.

But it's also difficult now because most times people want to know when the boys are coming home, or when they can meet them, or when we can take them out once they're home.  The truth is that we don't know.  We really hope our boys will be home by the end of the month but even then our challenges don't end.  Our boys were born 10 and a half weeks early and that doesn't change once they're released from NICU.  We won't get to be normal parents for a long time.  We have been told that even a simple cold is likely to result in them returning to the hospital within their first year of life.  So we won't be able to go to anything where there are large gatherings of people.  That includes taking them to my work, taking them to library story times, visiting Andy's Grandma at her home, even going to the grocery store or mall will present danger.  I know we are going to get called over protective, I know people don't understand.  I would not have understood before.  But it is what it is and the health of our boys is what is most important.

Being pregnant with the boys was isolating because I was tired all the time, I was large, and I couldn't do a lot of the things I used to do.  But being a preemie mom is even more isolating.  I'm dedicated to breastmilk feeding so I continue to pump every three hours around the clock.  This essentially means that every three hours I need to be either at home or at the NICU where a hospital grade pump is available.  I bought a regular electric pump but after trying it yesterday it's obvious the NICU's lactation consultant is right, it just doesn't have the same pumping ability.  So for the sake of my supply I need to continue using the huge hospital grade pump.  I have to pump at least eight times a day for 30 minutes.  That adds up to four and a half hours in a day.  Eight hours a day I am at the NICU working with the boys on bottle and breast feeding, and bonding with them.  Between the 11pm and 11am pumpings I attempt to get a little bit of sleep.  There is very little time for anything else.  But I miss my friends, I miss our family.  Heck, I miss spending regular time with Andy.

I even feel somewhat isolated from my babies right now since the most important thing is for them to continue to grow.  A sleeping baby is a growing baby.  So we really only hold them, touch them, love on them while we're working on feeding them.  I know things will improve drastically once the boys are home.  It will still be difficult, I know, but so much better.  I can't wait until I can snuggle with them throughout the day instead of just at feeding times!

In summary, this sucks.  I've been trying to avoid saying or thinking it since I was worried it would make me ungrateful for how well my boys are doing.  But the NICU support group I attended on Tuesday helped me realize that this sucks and it is 100% okay to feel that way.  I need to mourn the loss of a normal pregnancy and I need to learn to reach out for the support that I need.  Even though the boys are doing well it still is a loss.  I didn't get to have the excited family in the waiting room anxiously awaiting their arrival, I didn't get to have an intervention free birth, I didn't get to do skin to skin time or attempt to breast feed at birth (heck, I didn't get to hold Jacen for 9 days and Spencer for 10), I didn't get to happily leave the hospital with them when I was discharged.  It sucks it sucks it sucks!  I miss feeling them move inside me and it makes me so sad and angry that we were robbed of that time together.  I have so much guilt even though I know all of this is out of my control and that God has a plan.

I hate that yet again I have issues with pregnancy.  After our miscarriage and subsequent infertility I struggled with seeing a pregnant woman.  I told myself that everyone has a story and I didn't know theirs.  But it stung that so many women were able to get and stay pregnant.  Now here I am with similar feelings again.  I mourn the loss of my third trimester and all the normal annoyances associated with it.  As ridiculous as it is I mourn not getting to take the glucose test.  I actually cried last week when a friend mentioned taking it because I never got to.  I realize the drink is nasty, but it's normal.  I didn't get that.

We're finding a new normal but I think it's still okay to be sad sometimes.  I'm just trying to focus of the positives 95% of the time, there really are a lot of them.  I am so blessed to have two beautiful growing boys!  I know that things will get better.

7 comments:

  1. Oh Melissa, you have every right to complain and say that this sucks because it does. I don't think you're ungrateful for saying that. You were robbed of so much "normalness" and that is something to mourn. Know that you are thought of on a regular basis by me and a ton of ladies on TB. You have been doing an amazing job of keeping your head up and being strong but everyone has their moments. Don't feel guilty for anything that you are feeling.

    You are stronger than you know.
    Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  2. *hugs* It ok to let your guard down. You don't always have "to be the strong one." The NICU does suck. 1000%. I hope to never be there, ever again. But at the same time, saying that makes me feel guilty because if my daughter comes early (which is possible..even likely the last few days), she'll be in the NICU and I want to be grateful that NICU's exist. Everyone's story is different. And this is yours. You have every right to feel the way you do. Even though I've made it to 30 weeks (much farther than my 25 weeks with Logan)...I'm still {secretly} angry that this pregnancy has been and is still proving to be so difficult. I feel like women who have ever suffered any type of loss or hardship with pregnancy should catch some sort of break. But this is life. I don't understand it. It just is. Those feelings you have don't make you any less strong, or any less grateful for your boys. It makes you human. You are an amazing woman. Inspiring.
    -Johnnys June

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jenn is absolutely correct. You have EVERY right to express your feelings of loss, mourning, and isolation. Without acknowledging those feelings, they fester and only serve to hurt you. You have enough on your plate without that. You are absolutely correct too. There are experiences that you have missed, will miss, because of the boys coming so early and the struggles that they will face. But, there are also so many tender moments and momentous occasions that you do get to share with a normal pregnancy. The feel of the boys soft skin against yours. Watching their tiny facial expressions as the yawn and shift as the wake up. Seeing the ounces on the scale climb and knowing that you are the one providing the nutrition that is making that happen. And, you will feel the joy of leaving the hospital with Jacen and Spencer. It will be all the sweeter for having won such a hard fought battle.

    Once you are home, you will face feelings of isolation again, to be sure. But, your boys will be by your side, and that will be an immense balm. As for critics who say you are too over-protective, the boys aren't their children, and so they will just never understand. But, I am reminded of a line from a show. A doctor accuses the mother of a sick girl of being 'one of the most over-protective mother's' he had ever met. Her response was, "One of the most? Show me a mother who is more over-protective of me, so I can ask her what she's doing right." You do whatever you have to, to protect your boys. Other people's opinions are theirs alone, and you have the right to act as you see fit.

    We are standing with you, all of us who have been with you on this journey.
    Lee

    ReplyDelete
  4. I admire your strength. I'm not in your situation but I think your feelings are right on target. Most people have trouble dealing with even the smallest change in life and here you are dealing with change and the unexpected on a daily basis. Your boys are so lucky to have you as their momma. Your dedication to them is amazing. You are often in my thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Melissa. I go to Woodlawn and have spoken to you just a few times. I know I hardly know you, but I've been following your blog and keeping you and Andy in my prayers. My daughter, Bailey, was born with a fever, so she was in the NICU the first week of her life. She wasn't born premature, but the doctors thought she either had sepsis or menangitis. So she stayed in the NICU and received meds for 7 days before finally being released. That was the hardest week of my life and I was only there for a week. I can't imagine what you and Andy are going through, but just like the ladies said above, it is perfectly okay for you to feel all that you are feeling. It was incredibly isolating and exhausting spending those first days of Bailey's life in the NICU, going back and forth to pump and nurse and rarely getting any sleep. I know that your situation is even more difficult. I was overprotective of Bailey, too. I didn't want to take her anywhere until I felt that she was "in the clear" and wouldn't get sick. Please know that we are praying for you guys at Woodlawn.

    Sincerely,
    Becky

    ReplyDelete
  6. Melissa, Happy Mother's Day to a beautiful, strong, honest and amazing woman. This post has me in tears for all kinds of reasons...mostly because of your strength and pure honesty. I think of you, Andy and the boys so often. I was just telling your story to a friend the other day...and I told her how touched I was the day I read your birth post...and saw the photos of Jacen and Spencer on your chests as you held them so close.
    You and Andy have a bond and a love that is so evident. And what you're going through together and taking on together...it is beautiful, the remarkable way you push through it all.
    I think it is so healthy to grieve and allow yourself to feel the pain. I admire you not only as a mother, but a wife. You go girl. I will continue to pray.
    Sending huge hugs and love to you all!
    Xoxoxo
    I hope you have a sweet day!
    Xoxoxo
    Maria

    ReplyDelete
  7. Melissa, thank you so much for your thoughts and prayers. It means so much to Steve and I. Thank you for being such a support.
    I hope you, Andy and your sweet boys are doing well.
    Lots of love

    Xoxoxo
    Maria

    ReplyDelete